This past week, beyond exploring the Hanging Rock State Park, I was busy exploring the world of browser extensions for the Google Chrome browser. Now if you are not familiar with such a thing, you can view wikipedia’s entry for plug-ins,and extensions but these devices are generally applications that are attached to your web browser, usually in the top right corner and give you the ability perform certain tasks without leaving your browser.
Though, there are thousands of plug-ins and extensions, my recent search through the Google Chrome store has revealed 5 that I would definitely recommend everyone should take a look at.
1. Chrome SEO – Chrome SEO was the first plug-in I ever downloaded. If you consider even are simply dabbeling in the world of online marketing, this is a must have app. It allows you to find the number of back links for a particular site in both Google and Alexia, plus it also gives you a small keyword directory. What more could you ask for?
2. Mini Google Maps – I love to travel and this is the ultimate app for a travel enthusiast. Being an extension this is not your standard google maps, instead of giving you directions it will simply tell you where something is located. Which is idea for somebody who simply needs a quick glance at where a place is located, when doing research.
3. 1-Click Weather for Chrome – Now if you are like me, before you leave your house in the morning you turn on your computer at some point. If you turn on your computer, in the morning, it’s safe to say that you’re probably going to visit Weather.com so you know how to dress for the day. Instead of going to weather.com though, why don’t you install this extension and get the daily weather report, right from your browser.
4. Google Similar Pages – Labeled as a beta in the current Chrome store, this application will allow you to view similar pages to the one you’re on. For a guy whose trying to keep an eye on his competitors, like me, this is an application I would definitely recommend checking out.
5. PageRank Status – Another good tool that I found just the other day at work, thanks to Jim Burrow. This plug-in always shows the current page rank of the page you’re on, in the top right corner of your browser.
Now these are just a few of the extensions in the Chrome store but there are hundreds in the chrome store to use ranging from productivity and sports, to blogging and social media. What extensions do you use on a daily basis? I would love to hear.